Sunday, November 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom


Today, 59 years ago, Lizette Mareanne Lonne was born, later to become Lizette Hardgrave in 1977, when she married Phillip Hardgrave. To her friends, she was Liz. She passed away four years ago.

I guess it's more common for people to remember the day of their loved ones' passing, but for my mother's story and my story, the date of her passing has little importance.

Her life is her importance--the people she touched, the lives she warmed, the beautiful memories she helped create. Her legacy is the world around us, and one that will not pass away.

She lives on in me, her daughter, and in every single friend and dear family member who knew her well and loved her for the kind and loving woman that she was.

In everything I do, and in everything I write, she's there, guiding me, like a northward star guiding a weary traveler.

Happy birthday, Mom. Your star's freakin' gorgeous tonight.


4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Aunt Liz, we all miss you. Laura, I think you should post the poem you read at your mother's funeral. It was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back so many memories. I miss her. Happy birthday Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of Lizette so much lately. Just found this site. I went to school with her and we lost touch after she moved to CA. She was a sweet, kind, funny person and her giggle was contageous. Sue Peterson Tucson AZ

    ReplyDelete